Our roads are busy places.
As at the end of March 2018 there were 37.9 million vehicles on the road, including 3.9 million Light Goods Vehicles (LGVs) and 0.5 million Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGVs). It’s a crowded space with so many vehicles. Add in motorbikes, cyclists and pedestrians and it is little wonder that in 2016 there were 181,384 road traffic casualties, including 1792 reported road deaths.
Cyclists are particularly vulnerable. According to a report by RoSPA in 2016 18,477 cyclists were injured in road accidents of which 102 were killed. In the case of almost two thirds of those killed or seriously injured the accidents involved a road junction.
Given the statistics there is no doubt that protecting vulnerable road users has to be a top priority for any commercial fleet owner. As a company you have a duty to ensure that your drivers are not putting themselves or members of the public at risk. By taking positive action to manage and minimise the risks your company can benefit both reputationally and financially, from reduced insurance premiums and improved staff morale.
How do you help your drivers to drive in a way that minimises risk?
Driver education is obviously key as is selecting vehicles that incorporate a high level of passive safety features, such as crash event data recorders.
In addition to well-educated drivers and safe vehicles, technology can be used to enhance safety and protect vulnerable road users even further by adopting active safety measures.
This is where Fir Tree Technology can help.
We can source and install a wide range of equipment and systems that will help you to minimise the risk to vulnerable road users.
From simple parking and reversing sensors to the latest Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) we will help you to select the most appropriate vehicle safety system for your requirements and complete the installation using our skilled engineers at a time and place convenient to you.
Need help or advice?
Telephone: 01440 709579
Improve driver confidence and assist safe manoeuvring with increased visibility and elimination of blind spots.
- Camera visualisations systems
- Camera detection systems
- Collision avoidance systems
- Front facing cameras
- Rear facing cameras
- Driver facing cameras
- Near and off side cameras
- 360 camera systems
- Blind spot cameras
- Infrared cameras
- SD card of hard drive recording
- Driver drowsiness and distraction monitoring
The simplest way to improve driver visibility, reduce blind spots and prevent incidents.
- Reverse Sensor Systems
- Proximity Sensors – detect obstacles to the front, side, rear and corners of the vehicle
- Ultrasonic detection system for side and front
- Radar detection system for side and front
- Blind Spot Detection (BSD)
- Pedestrian and Cyclist Detection System (PCDS)
- Vehicle manoeuvring warning alarms – turn left/reversing
- Real speech audible warning alarms
- Fixed volume alarms
- Dual volume alarms
- Night alarms
- Alarm inhibitors
- Proximity sensor alarms
- Additional indicator lamps
- Vulnerable road user warning signage/stickers
- Awareness markings (also known as retro-reflective/or conspicuity markings)
- Illuminated panels and LED warning signs